Dynamic Bulletin Calendar



School of ETM


MET Home
Areas of Study
Course Description
Student Organization
Career Information
What's New!
Contact Information
Advising Tools



All students entering SPSU are required to attend the orientation meeting held at the beginning of their first semester unless special provisions are made with the department of their major.  Students will be introduced to SPSU as well as advised and registered for courses. 

Your university academic advisor is not like your high school guidance counselor. Your advisor is here to assist and work with you to ensure that you meet your academic requirements as you work toward graduation. But advisors are much more than schedule builders. They work to build a partnership with you the student, meeting their responsibilities as advisors and making sure you understand your responsibilities as students. 


A recommended sequence of courses will be provided to all students during the orientation session. Students then will be expected to prepare their own schedules. Students will have an opportunity to discuss a proposed schedule with an advisor and will register for recommended courses. 

All MET students are required to meet with their respective advisors. There are three types of students for advisement and registration. These types of students are New Students (freshman and transfer), Continuing Students, and Students on Probation.

Every new MET student, either freshman or transfer, must report to an advisor at the beginning of their academic career at SPSU. Continuing SPSU students should seek periodic advisement.

Though not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that freshman and transfer students seek advisement their first two semesters. Transfer students need to find out what courses transferred to SPSU for credit, enabling them to better plan their degree program.  In summary, advisement is broken down as follows.

List of Advisors:

  • Prof Glenn Allen for Mechatronics Engineering students,

  • Prof Greg Conrey (A-K in alphabet*) and Prof Kenton Fleming (L-Z in alphabet) for freshmen and transferred students (freshman level),

  • Prof Donald Horton (A-K in alphabet) and Prof Norman Russell (L-Z in alphabet) for students who are on probation or deferred suspension,

  • Prof  Ali Khazaei for others that are A-F in alphabet,

  • Prof David Veazie for others that are G-P in alphabet,

  • Prof Simin Nasseri for others that are Q-Z in alphabet.

  • Prof Mir Atiqullah for graduations petitions.

(*) Those whose family names start with A to K.

() If a student has overall 30 hours or more on his/her transcript, he/she should go to the regular advisors.


General information:

-For transfer equivalency, contact Ms Marilyn Shortridge,

-For registration problems (Banner errors, etc), contact Ms Vickie Deakins (K134),

-For class overrides, contact the professors offering the courses, and not your advisor.

-For questions on all MET/ENGR classes and the courses which were not transferred, email your advisor and ask your questions or arrange a meeting with her/him.

Areas of Study and Course Description:

This following resources are designed to help students review outcomes, find the courses that meet the outcomes and plan term-by-term. View course offerings and other options for meeting MET outcomes by catalog year.

Documents you need to use:

Other documents:


  1. MET majors are required to earn an overall 2.0 average (not a "C" in every course) in all courses designated as MET and ENGR.
  2. For more information about Areas A through E, see the "Core Curriculum" section in the SPSU catalog.
  3. The Free Elective may not be MATH 1111.

Frequently Asked Questions:

I am a new student. I want general information about registration on banner and accessing my emails.

You can review this document.

I would like to be successful and I know that time management and study skills are important. Is there any document that I can read about these two?

Yes! Career and counseling center has provided these Notes on Time Management and Study Skills that you can review.

Who is my advisor?

Check the list of advisors and find out who your advisor is. Most advisors are allocated according to first letter of your family name.

How often should I contact my advisor?

First semester students are required to meet with their advisor at least 2 times during the first semester. Continuing SPSU students should seek periodic advisement.

How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?

Email or call your advisor and set up an appointment. Check the faculty page for the contact information of each faculty member. To set up an initial appointment for advisement with Prof Sweigart, students should see Ms. Vickie Deakins, the MET Administrative Assistant, room K134 or email her.

What sort of advices does my advisor give me?

Academic advisors strive to deliver accurate, respectful, honest, friendly and professional service. They are pleased to answer students' questions about academic policies or procedures, to assist with the selection of courses, to make appropriate referrals to other departments, and to help students understand how to use the degree audit as an effective planning tool.

I need more information about the Tutoring Center's free help sessions.

Visit this page and check the schedule of each semester. Summer schedule can be found here.

Do I need to retake the course for which I earned a grade of D?

No!  While it is better to retake each ENGR and MET course for which the student earned a grade of D,  but MET majors are required to earn an overall 2.0 average (not a "C" in every course) in all courses designated as MET and ENGR. Students can do their best to get higher grades (B and A) in other courses and raise their overall GPA.

I took Physics 1111k which the trig-based physics. On the 2007-2008 catalog checklist for MET it says that 1111k can be substituted for 2211k which is the calculus-based physics. I was wondering if that is still true and if it can be substituted will it also qualify as a prerequisite of 2212k which is physics 2 calculus-based?

As stated in the catalog, "the trig-based Physics course is an automatic substitution for MET students." We strongly recommend the calc-based courses, and that substitution is really intended for (but not limited to) transfer students, but we will not require you to retake Physics just to get the calc based aspects. Our requirements could change (in the direction of absolutely requiring clac-based Physics) in the future and that if the student transfers to an Engineering program (here or elsewhere), calc-based physics will absolutely be required.

I am not sure which one of these two courses to take: "ECON 2107" or "ECON 1101" for the social sciences or area E.

If you have not take an Econ course, you should definitely take 2107. We do not give course substitutions to use 1101 unless you transferred it, took it when you were in a different major, or took it before it became an MET requirement.

I have already taken US history (Area E), do I have to take World history as well?

Yes. World history and US History are both required. Both Area E but two different groups. Review 2008-09 The University System of Georgia Core and check all the required courses.

I started as a freshman in MET in 2006-2007, I transferred to MTRE in 2007-2008 and am now switching back to MET in 2009-2010. So I don't know which catalog of courses to follow.

If you did not take 2 semesters in a row off, you can select any catalog you choose between when you started and when you graduate.

Additional info: In the 2-semesters-in-a-row rule, summer counts as a semester, so if someone is not enrolled in any classes for a spring and summer or a summer and fall, they have to pick up with a newer catalog.

How do I get more information about transfer equivalency?

Try accessing the Transfer Equivalency Page. If you cannot locate your specific course(s), or if you need additional information regarding transfer credits, please contact Marilyn Shortridge at

Will multiple courses be allowed  to transfer in for one or more courses?

If the single course description(s) is not equivalent to a single course at SPSU, then a "course substitution" will be required. When more courses are brought in, then it is no longer transfer credit because it is not a “course for course” transfer. If one has this situation, the office of admission will bring them in as "free elective" hours. Fill this undergraduate course substitution petition form with the help of your advisor.

How does my advisor help me with graduation requirements?

Students are responsible for understanding their graduation requirements by using the degree audit, university catalog, departmental handouts and information learned through academic advising. Students are expected to actively participate in the selection of courses and to take ultimate responsibility for their choices. At Orientation, advisors register new students for their first semester of courses; after that, students must register through the touch-tone system.

When do I have to file the petition for graduation? Whom do I have to meet?

A student must submit a formal petition for "Admission to Candidacy for a Degree" to the Registrar's Office "no later than the end of the fourth week of the term preceding the expected term of graduation."

Meet with your advisor at the beginning of each semester to see if you can graduate the semester after and then talk to Prof Atiqullah for filing the petition.

What type of computer will I need for the MET program?

The SolidWorks® CAD software, which is available to all MET students, is the most computer intensive program that you will probably use in the MET program. SolidWorks has an excellent web page explaining the minimum computer and graphics card requirements. SolidWorks® also has tested and certified many computers/graphics cards here.

It is recommended that you install SolidWorks® on a PC based computer. It is possible to install SolidWorks on a Apple’s Mac© computer with dual boot for Windows.

SolidWorks is available in 32bit and 64bit and can run in Windows XP and Vista. SolidWorks 2009 is NOT certified on Windows 7.

For more information contact Professor Greg Conrey at 678-915-7445 or . Also, visit his web page for download and installation instructions.

I need more information about Manufacturing concentration/ Manufacturing courses and certifications. Whom do I need to contact?

  • For questions about electives in manufacturing and automation (Tool Design, CNC, or Automation Controls), and also careers in Manufacturing, talk to Prof Horton.

  • For questions about Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME) membership and Manufacturing certifications (eg. CMfgT) talk to Dr Nasseri.

  • Regarding issues related to manufacturing curriculum, and planning for electives related to Manufacturing, either Prof Horton or Dr Nasseri can assist you.

How do I get more information about membership in professional societies?

Check this page and talk to the Faculty advisor of each chapter.

How do I get more information about FE and PE exams?

Talk to Prof Horton. You can find some information here.

How do I choose my concentration?

When students declare a major or concentration, they are encouraged to form a close working relationship with an MET faculty advisor who can guide them through their major course requirements and explore graduate school options. Check the available concentrations here.

Do I necessarily need to graduate with a concentration?

No! You can choose any major elective course that you would like and there is no need to graduate with any specific concentration. So you can mix and match and register for a total of 12 credit hours of major elective courses.

I would like to take "Dynamics of Machines", "Tool Design" and "Thermodynamics II" altogether. Would two of them be considered as major elective courses?


How do I get more information about a Special Topic Course (SpTp)?

When classes are offered with Special Topic (SpTp) numbers, like Engineering Computation, Heat Transfer, Advanced Graphics, etc, students can count as many of those as they want. All of them will be counted as major elective courses.

For more information about each course, talk to the Professor offering that course and if he/she is not available, talk to the chair of the MET department.

Can I take a special topic course which is independent study and would it be considered as major elective course?

Yes! Some professors are offering individual study courses. If you are interested in any particular subject, talk to the professor and see if he/she is willing to supervise you.

However, you can take only one SpTp that is actually individual study.

I am interested in taking the Project Management class. Has this class been approved as a major elective? If so, What is the course number?

Yes! MGNT 4135 is now part of the Manufacturing Concentration. While registering, remember that the computer may give you a PREQ & TEST SCORE error, but the MGNT department has given us permission to issue over-rides. Please talk to Ms Deakins if you face any difficulty. If a student is not in the Manufacturing concentration, this will also require a course substitution (not to get in, but to count it for graduation). MGNT 6050 is a graduate course, so you cannot register for it.

For student who choose to graduate under the Manufacturing Option, Project Management (MGNT 4135, not the one in any other department) is required. For all other MET students, a course substitution form is required and all other course substitution rules apply. No course substitutions are automatic so the student should get the course substitution petition signed BEFORE they take the class, or they are taking a big risk.




New in our Website:

Advising Tools

Research Groups


Resources for:

Industry Partners


SPSU Home | News and events | Employment | Visit Southern Poly | Index
About SPSU | Prospective students | Student services | Student life | Academics
Continuing Education | Administrative offices | Sports and athletics
Alumni and Foundation | For faculty & staff

Mechanical Engineering Technology
Southern Polytechnic State University
1100 South Marietta Parkway
Marietta, GA 30060
Phone: 678-915-7274

© 2007 For problems or questions regarding this site, contact MET Web Manager