Southern Polytechnic State University offers two traditional style residence halls. They are Howell and Norton Hall. Both halls were renovated during the summer of 2005. Both Howell and Norton are conveniently located near academic buildings, the student center, recreation center and minutes away from the dining hall.
Howell and Norton Hall are the home of our First Year Freshman. They are both unique environments. The Residence Halls are the home of the First Year Residential Experience, also known as F.Y.R.E. This program began here at SPSU in 1996. While there may be first year programs on other campuses, our program diverges from most because it focuses more on academic orientation. SPSU has a demanding curriculum and we want our first year students to have the academic perspective that is needed in order to succeed here. There is also a wing in the Residence Halls that is reserved for honor students.
Residence Hall Specifics
- The residence halls require an Academic Year Contract. It starts at the beginning of Fall semester and ends at the end of Spring semester.
- All residence hall students are required to enroll in a university food service meal plan. The two options available are the 14 meals per week plan or the 19 meals per week plan. The 14 meal plan includes two meals per day plus the weekend. The 19 meal plan includes three meals per day and two meals per day on the weekend.
- Full payment for housing and meals is due prior to occupancy for each academic term. Students who are qualified for and who have accepted financial aid may have that aid directly disbursed to cover payments for housing and meals. Any remaining difference after financial aid disbursement must be paid by the deadlines established each term.
- Private rooms are not available in the residence halls. Students who have a documented medical condition that requires them to have their own room but does not limit their physical capabilities should plan to live in a university apartment setting that can accommodate their need for privacy without taking space away from another student. Students with physical impairments may apply to live in specially equipped rooms in Howell Hall for this purpose. These are private rooms but may only be used for students who have physical limitations that impair their mobility.
- All utilities as well as cable television and high speed internet are covered by the students housing payment.
- All residents are required to turn off lights, unplug appliances, empty trashcans, remove perishables from refrigerators, and take home pet fish or plants before semester closings. Locked windows and doors and drawn blinds and drapes will enhance the security of a resident's room during vacation periods. The Department of Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for personal belongings which may be lost, damaged, or stolen. Valuables should be removed from the room by the resident during holiday closings to prevent theft or damage. The housing staff will check all rooms for security.
back to top
Rates and Amenities
2011-2012 Housing Rates
Fall Housing: $1,950
Spring Housing: $1,950
*Board Meal Plan Required
**Housing Rates do not include required Board Meal Plan Cost
Your room will include:
- An extra long twin bed- need to get sheets to fit this size
- Bunkable or loftable beds
- A desk
- A desk chair
- Individual wardrobes
- 2 and 3 drawer dressers in Norton Hall
- Window blinds
- A set of furniture per resident
- Individually controlled heat and air
- Community bathrooms located on each floor
- Community kitchen located in Norton Hall
- Laundry facility in each residence hall
- Central vending areas
- Resident Assistants located on each floor
- Tutoring center located in Howell Hall
- On-campus activities and events
- Community Center with flat screen television and high-speed wireless internet
- Recreation and Wellness Center
Safety and Security:
- Sprinkler and fire safety system
- On-campus University Police
- Emergency call boxes
back to top
Terms and Conditions
Housing & Residence Life Contract Terms and Conditions
back to top
Click on the images below to see more photos of the residence halls.
back to top
Click on the image below to see more details.
Detailed Floor Plans (click the links below)
Howell 1st Floor
Howell 2nd Floor
Howell 3rd Floor
Howell 4th Floor
Norton 1st Floor
Norton 2nd Floor
Norton 3rd Floor
Office of Housing and Residence Life
1100 S. Marietta Pkwy
Marietta, GA 30060-2896