Academic Leadership Council Minutes

Ballroom A - 2:00 PM

September 29, 2010

 

NOTE:  At times, issues of confidentiality may require that some items discussed in meetings be excluded from these minutes.

 

ALC MEMBERS:  Robert Glenn Allen, Austin Asgill, Tom Ball, Bill Barnes, Richard Bennett, Renee Butler, David Caudill, Lance Crimm, Tom Currin, Venu Dasigi, Ameen Farooq, Alan Gabrielli, Steven Hamrick, Bob Homer, Ruston Hunt, Sonny Kim, Andrew McMorran, Joyce Mills, Julie Newell, Mark Nunes, Ilseok Oh, Jeff Orr, Nikki Palamiotis, Phil Patterson, Dawn Ramsey, Jeffrey Ray, Nancy Reichert, Han Reichgelt, Ronny Richardson, Richard Ruhala, Becky Rutherfoord, Khalid Siddiqi, Denise Stover, John Sweigart, Zvi Szafran, Andy Wang, and Tim Zeigler

 

MEMBERS ABSENT:   

 

GUESTS:   

 

 

Item 1.  Updates

 

Dr. Szafran updated the Council on the following:

 

 

 

Item 2. Departmental Retention/Graduate Rate Plans

 

Szafran reminded the Council that each department must have their own retention and graduation plan and that they are due by the end of December.  He stated that departments should look at impediments to student success and find solutions.  Szafran and Hamrick will look at developing a web report that will determine accurate graduation rates and asked the Council to let them know what additional information may be useful in the report.  Szafran also talked about faculty advising as part of the annual evaluation process.  The new annual evaluation form has a section on faculty advising and stated that faculty should talk about advising and what they are doing in this area in their annual reports.  Results of the Early Warning System showed better faculty compliance than in the past with 99% participation rate this semester.  A new function in Banner confirms completion of Early Warning, mid-term, and final grade entries with a confirmation message.  All students tagged as not-engaged were mailed a letter, emailed, and/or called by Student and Enrollment Services with suggestions for improving academic performance.

 

 

Item 3.  Summer Pay

 

A draft proposal on recalculating summer pay for full-time faculty was distributed for discussion.  Szafran talked about the major points in the draft and asked for input from the ALC before sending the policy out to the faculty for review.  There were some issues raised about small enrollment and dual-modality courses.  Payment for large enrollment courses and special topics/directed study courses was also discussed.  Suggestions included banking credit to the faculty member for these courses or paying them extra for large enrollment courses and paying for special topics/directed study courses for which faculty currently do not get paid.  The consensus at the last Deans Council meeting was to do neither of the above but to give an equivalent amount directly to the department offering the courses to spend as they wish on things such as travel or equipment.

 

 

Item 4.  Pre-Tenure/Tenure Review Packets

 

Szafran discussed problems we are having with inconsistent and/or incomplete pre-tenure and tenure review packets and asked for suggestions on ways to improve faculty submissions.  All information related to promotion and tenure is not in the same place and faculty have to look at the Academics website for some information and refer to the various P&Ps for other information and that all of this needs to be together.  It was also suggested to have sample packets available for faculty to review.  Another issue was that the notification date of eligibility of promotion and tenure from the VPAA’s Office does not allow sufficient time to secure outside reviewers and needs to be changed and that our website is bad.  After discussing these issues, Szafran suggested we create an ad hoc committee to come up with a standard form and vita to fill out and a promotion/tenure manual.  Julie Newell agreed to take on this task but asked that the chairs give her feedback in a timely manner.  Han and Jeff Ray will help with posting things on the website.  Julie also stated that policies should be enforced consistently so as not to punish those who follow the rules.

 

 

Item 5.  Emergency Planning and Training

 

Szafran asked what items might need to be addressed when it comes to emergency planning and training and suggested that he, John Bauer (University Police), and Phyllis Weatherly (Career and Counseling) could provide short half-hour training sessions.  Suggestions/topics from the ALC:

 

 

Safety pamphlets are available from University Police and they will gladly provide safety training to the departments.  All agreed this is a good idea.  Zvi will email the faculty for additional input and will share the results with Phyllis Weatherly and University Police.  Julie Newell will begin putting stickers in public spaces/classrooms with the emergency number to call that will be accessible even if the power goes out.

 

Item 5.  New Business

 

 

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:09 PM.